What is “Active Waiting List” at PokerStars and how it works?
A few days ago PokerStars made another change to their client. This time the changes affected the work of the weightlists and the appearance of the so-called "Active Waiting List". What are the new principles of landing at the tables and let's try to figure it out.
What is a waiting list?
Waiting List - a special list of players who wished to sit at a certain table, where all the seats have already been taken. This concept is specific only to cash games. Waiting lists exist not only in online poker, but also in live poker. The desire to sit at a table with a weak player is the most popular reason for using them. Many professional poker players are so focused on finding weak players that they can book literally all tables where there is at least the slightest suitable recreational player. This often becomes outright abuse.
How does active waiting list work at PokerStars?
Let's move on to the current PokerStars solution. What is hidden behind the "Active Waiting List" wording? If we leave out of brackets the introductory information about the common good, for the sake of which a new procedure for using Waiting lists is being introduced, then the changes are as follows:
- If you join the Waiting lists at a specific table, then you are automatically transferred to a new table with the rest of the players of the waiting list. That is, you start a new game until a seat becomes free at the desired table, where you originally wanted to sit;
- After the seat is still vacated at the original table, it will be occupied not chronologically by the first from the waiting list (the one who clicked "Join Waiting List" earlier than others), but by a random player from it;
- At the same time, a longer play at the secondary table of the Waiting lists players will be encouraged and those who have played there for longer will have a better chance of taking a seat at the desired table;
- If you sit out at the table of players from the Waiting lists, you will not be offered to take the vacant seat at the first table;
- The Waiting Table (the official name of the table for players from the Waiting lists) is a regular poker table with the same limit and format as the one where you took your place in the Waiting lists.
The logic behind PokerStars is easy to understand:
1. Making it harder to find weak players will further reduce the number of professional players and bumhunters - a long-standing goal of the PS management;
2. An increase in the number of tables played due to new Waiting tables will lead to an increase in PokerStars income due to rake;
3. Weak recreational players will lose their deposits more slowly, which will slightly offset the negative poker trend. The trend of eliminating weak players in dozens of hands.
Pokerstars Hand History
Holdem Manager 3